Sunday, October 6, 2013

Good family, good friends, & Black Magic cake

Saturday was an awesome day for the Lowry household. 
Good Family
After getting up and starting our day we went and spent time with Grandma and Grandpa. Even on a budget we decided to use this week as our play week. We went out to lunch where I earned double Plink points for using my debit card at Burger King. Thanks to that trip I now have enough points for a 20$ Amazon gift card. 
We then went to Home Depot for some of the smaller household items we need. Had to buy a new tile drill bit so we can start hanging items up in the kid's bathroom. Love the fact that the owners before us started the work, hate that they tiled up the walls and possibly over the outlets. That is another project for a later date with us.

The best part was getting to go out to an orchard stand outside of Marsing ID. Last year we wanted to go they were closed Sunday's and we never went back. I'm glad my Mother-in-law asked us to go because it was so fun. It wasn't you pick like we normally do but for 14$ a half bushel we were able to pick up a  mix of Jonagold and Honeycrisp apples that weight in at 27# When the pre boxed Honeycrisps were 20# for 25$ Even better, it has wine tastings for free!!! I got to try a new type of wine that I really want a bottle of so maybe I can get it for our anniversary. We plan on going back again next week to get more apples and maybe some pluots. We just love making homemade applesauce. 

Next we took another trip to Albertson's for a few baking items I needed to make cake and candy. up until now we had been very good with our budget and hadn't spent more than we really needed. But you remember the sale that made me Super Wifey... Well it was still going and they added to it. Everything we had left later, I had broken even with saving what I had spent. But once again I filled the log. I can fit no more in my pantry or freezer and it feels good to know my family will not go hungry for a while. Now I can focus on stocking my cake decorating items as well as some baking items we haven't kept on hand very often. 

Good Friends
After a productive day with the family, we got home just in time for Mike and I to cook and bake for some very good friends of ours. Barbecued chicken and s'mores around the fire pit, while the kids played. It was a beautiful night to be sure but the the pièce de résistance... 


Black Magic Cake
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup strong brewed coffee 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil  
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans or one 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In large bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center.
  3. Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and finish cooling on a wire rack. Fill and frost as desired.
Original recipe makes 1 - 9x13 inch or 2 - 9 inch round pan
I did mine as cupcakes, well it doesn't puff up like normal batter so they stuck together but they were still so good! Awesome without frosting as well as with. I had to do a bit of substituting on a couple things. I couldn't find my oil and I was not about to go back to the store so I used coconut oil which made the batter taste divine but you couldn't taste after it was baked and I added some chocolate extract as well as vanilla for more flavor. When they had finally cooled we frosted them with frosting Jessica brought that doesn't use powdered sugar. 

Chocolate frosting
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 
  • ⅓ cup all-purpose flour 
  • 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder 
  • ⅔ cup granulated sugar 
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature

Directions

  1. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30-second increments, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool to room temperature. 
  2.  n a small saucepan, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar and milk. Whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, whisking frequently, until thickened. You’re looking for a pudding-like consistency. 
  3. Remove from heat and use a fine mesh strainer to strain the mixture into another bowl (use the back of a wooden spoon to press it through the strainer). Cool completely in refrigerator or freezer.
  4. In a mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed until fluffy, about two minutes. Turn mixer off and add the cooled flour mixture. Beat until fluffy, about two minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. 
  5. Add the melted chocolate chips and beat until smooth and fluffy, about another two minutes. 
So like I said, while we may not have actually saved this week, we got everything we needed to keep us going for a few months and made some pretty awesome memories. That's it for now. This Susie has to go supervise chores and get to work on canning. Have a great start to the week everyone.



2 Comments:

Lindsey@BakingBytes said...

Looks delicious! I'll have to give it a shot next time I need a chocolate cake fix. =)

Unknown said...

It is DIVINE!!!! Super chocolaty and very moist. I just bought a large canister of buttermilk powder just to make sure I can make this at any time.

Free Blog Template by June Lily