Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Chores, Cakes, and Coupons

Life has been hectic at the Lowry Household. Mr Mechanic is working long hours in preparation for winter layoff, the Monsters are driving me batty, and to top it off we got new pets...
                                  Meet Morwen the bunny 

                                                     and Oreo the guinea pig


Tink thoroughly hates both of them when they sit on my lap. With Oreo she actually growls, with Morwen she runs away. It's amazing that my 6 and a half pound Chihuahua is scared of a 3 pound bunny. Oreo happens to be Daytona's new chore, she really doesn't do much other than clean her room and help her brothers with their chores. Now to get the hubby to make me a feed/bedding bin for all the animal stuff. It has taken over my pantry, which is part of our 'homesteading' make over in the years to come. (self sufficient in 5 years)

Community Cakes is going great for me so far. Here's today's main cake. A bit of a problem with the top scroll work but a good job over all. Lot's of fun making it. It's chocolate cream cheese, with a caramel pudding center, cream cheese flavored buttercream. The piped rosettes on the side is 4 different colors and the daisies are made from hardened fondant.



That's not just my latest cake, I made this one for my friend's little boy's first birthday. Vanilla with Chery pie filling, covered in fondant. First time making boots, hat, and rope words but I loved it.


And of course his smash cake. Vanilla with buttercream and removable fondant decorations.




I heard both cakes were a big hit, even with the minor flaws that Only I can apparently see.


I'm getting back into couponing, it's been great knowing I can pay full price for something and not have it break the bank but winter is coming and the log isn't as stocked as it normally is this time of year.  Hopefully Mr. Mechanic and sons can bag us a deer next week to help offset some of our meat lackage. (yes I know lackage isn't a word but I like it)
 

Sometimes I feel I am all alone in the world when I'm doing my dailies, but then I find a group of women who feel the same way and slowly we begin to click. We have a coupon club, meet ups, coffee dates, and just like that I begin to new friends and get new ideas. Coupon apps and cash back apps are AWESOME! Really! it can be a pain to remember to grab each receipt plus enter it in to multiple apps and scan each product you bought but I promise it's worth it. Start slow and quickly gain speed. I'll periodically post items of interest here but for now I'm signing off to clean house.


Comments:

Free Blog Template by June Lily